How things work at WVFC events
Welcome! This page lets you, the performer, know ‘how we do things round here’ so you can feel at home and fit in. Hopefully it will answer any questions you have.
Monthly Music Sessions
WVFC host Monthly Music Sessions on the second Thursday of each month, from February 2020 the venue is The Burston Crown https://www.burstoncrown.com. The music starts at 8.00pm and performers should arrive by 7.45pm. Fifteen minute slots can be prebooked on the WVFC website and each event will feature a longer showcase slot from a specially invited guest.
What the WVFC offers performers
- A friendly, listening audience and a supportive team of organisers
- A small PA and staff to help with set-up and sound
- The opportunity to promote up-coming gigs, CDs, availability etc.
- The chance to meet other performers and spectators on the local Folk & Roots scene
- The chance to be considered for a showcase slot and/or support slot at the WVFC Presents evenings and other events promoted by the WVFC
- The chance for less-experienced performers to practise and hone your performance skills in a supportive environment
What the WVFC expects from performers
- Arrive by 7:45 p.m.
- Plan your set in advance, including what you want to say between songs. Whilst the WVFC accepts and welcomes performers expressing views on a wide range of subjects, performances should not include offensive or abbusive language/behaviour.
- Be organized. A music stand is provided for music/song sheets, but please be familiar enough with your material to give a confident performance – an audience will be far more supportive of nervous performers than of those who are ill-prepared
- Stay and support the other performers throughout the evening
We hope these guidelines will help both performers and audiences continue to enjoy evenings of great music and good company at the WVFC.
Download the Guidelines in MS Word format.
Our WVFC Presents nights provide a platform for specially invited artists to play to a paying, listening audience. These events may be held in a variety of locations and venues throughout the Waveney Valley.
Our Musical Ethos
We want to embrace a broad range of music without straying too far from the central concept of Folk and Acoustic Roots. Close family therefore includes all varieties of Folk (Contemporary, Traditional, Celtic etc) Folk Rock and Americana. Extended family might include popular ‘Singer Songwriter’, Reggae, Jazz, World, Indie etc.
Performance Space / Audience
For our regular Monthly Music Sessions and WVFC Presents nights we also provide an ‘MC’ to host each event and drinks from a small bar will be available. At festivals or other events, the venue and set up depends on circumstances.
P.A. / Equipment / Sound
For Monthly Music Sessions we provide a basic PA system including main speakers and two microphones. Someone will help you get set up and optimise your sound as you play. As one of our key aims is to promote ‘live’ music, we ask you not to use pre-recorded backing tracks. We welcome loop pedal tracks that are created as part of a live performance.
For WVFC Presents nights we provide the following:
- Mounted main speakers
- monitor speaker
- mixing desk and friendly sound engineer
- 2 microphones
- 2 instrument lines
- plenty of power sockets
- 1 music stand with light
You are welcome to use foot pedals / pre-amp equipment on the basis that we plug our cable into it and you use your own cable to connect to your instrument.
We are happy to accommodate keyboards, preferably using a ‘line out’ facility so that we can balance the sound through the mixing desk.
For reasons of space, complexity, time and sound balance, we ask you not to bring your own guitar amplifier. The exception might be if you want to use a small amplifier to shape your sound before sending it via a ‘line out’ to the mixing desk. (This should be one instrument or voice only and not a blend of the two)
Controllable reverb is available via the mixing desk on voice and instruments.
If you need to cancel your agreed performance at any event, we naturally ask that you give as much notice as possible; preferably several weeks/days but, in the event of last minute emergencies, we ask you to reach us as soon as you can. See Contact Us page for contact details.
Expenses / fees are not paid to performers for Monthly Music Sessions. Expenses / fees for WVFC Presents performers is by prior agreement.
We are happy to display any promotional literature you have and you are welcome to promote / sell any CDs you have for sale.
We really appreciate your involvement in our events and we hope we have a win/win partnership. We are all helping to keep local music alive and kicking!